Sunday, July 22, 2012

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll


     So I'm probably one of the last people on earth to read this book.  I know....but somehow I missed it when I was a kid, or rather, I saw the Disney movie so many times I just assumed there was no reason to actually read it.  Well, now I've read it.  Actually, I read it aloud to my husband, who never got around to reading it as a child, either.  I knew it was going to be weird, but I was surprised by how funny it was...and still is.  It's one of those rare books that transcends genre.  It could be equally enjoyed by children, teens, and adults, which is probably why it's still considered a classic must-read nearly 150 years later.  There's really nothing critical I can offer for a book that has been discussed for a century and a half, so instead of doing a regular review, I though I'd share a few of my favorite Alice book cover designs instead.  Enjoy...















Aren't these great?  This last one is probably my favorite...comic book style-pulpy-sexy Alice? Yes, please!  Nowadays, you can find Alice art, jewelry, fan fiction, clothing, etc - and we can thank Mr. Tim Burton for the recent gritty reboot of Alice's image.  It's simply a weird, funny, entertaining, imaginative story - basically like a mid-19th century version of Adventure Time, and what's not to love about that?

Overall Rating: