Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie



   Monsieur Hercule Poirot has been asked by a friend, Adriadne Oliver, to assist in solving a tragic murder.  At a recent children's Halloween party a young girl of 13, Joyce, bragged to other party-goers that she once witnessed a murder.  Joyce was known for embellishing stories, so no one took her seriously.  But after the party, Joyce is found dead and Ms Oliver wonders if Joyce may have been telling the truth this time.  So she enlists the help of England's greatest detective - Hercule Poirot.

   This book made me remember how much I enjoy Agatha Christie mysteries.  I hadn't read one in several years, so I'm glad I picked it up.  It may not pack as much punch as some of her earlier masterpieces (Hallowe'en was published in 1969), but it's still an Agatha Christie book nonetheless, which means it is well-written and entertaining.  Plus, it is about a murder at a Halloween party...perfect for this time of year!