Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Belle Weather by Celia Rivenbark



   If you're the type of person who wants to enhance your knowledge of Southern American culture and improve your Southern accent, then I suggest reading Belle Weather out loud.  Now, since I'm from Tennessee, y'all know my twang is natural-born, but I did notice my speech becoming much twangier as I read this book out loud to my husband.  I have read all of her books to him, but I think this one is my favorite.  Celia Rivenbark's sharp wit and sarcasm could come across as bitchy, but not when it comes from a Southern woman - then it's so endearing that you don't know what hit you.

   Topics in this collection of essays include home renovation, ballroom dancing, "customer dis-service," and a particularly hilarious account of how Mrs. Rivenbark survived her daughter's first major slumber party (she sure is creative when it comes to getting kids to shut up!).  Like I mentioned in my Laurie Notaro blog, a lot of crazy folks mistake Celia Rivenbark's books for "chick lit," but there are enough fart jokes to keep my husband coming back for more!  If you're from the south, you'll absolutely adore her books, and if you're not, you'll probably consider moving down here.  After all, our bugs are cuter, our tea is sweeter, and the weather is "Mostly Sunny With a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits."

   Celia Rivenbark's newest book, You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl, will be released this August and can I just say? Best. Title. EVER!
You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool