Thursday, June 9, 2011

My summer reading list (subject to change)

   Now that I have read Weetzie Bat, it is officially summer in my literary life.  About this time every year, I begin to set aside books that I want to read over the summer.  I may not actually get to them all, but like I said, my list is subject to change.  Here are some of the books I look forward to (probably?) reading over the summer...some are old...some are new.




Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel
Before I Go to Sleep - S J Watson
A woman with amnesia must write herself a letter every night in order to remember who she is and to fill in the blanks about her life. One day she wakes to find that she has written herself some very terrifying and cryptic messages, one of which tells her not to trust her husband. To be released 6/14.

Peachtree Road
Peachtree Road - Anne Rivers Siddons
A good ole southern family saga set in Atlanta. Ya'll know how I like my southern lit

The Lonely Polygamist: A Novel
The Lonely Polygamist - Brady Udall
Golden Richards has 4 wives and twenty-something children, yet the family's complicated dynamics and the secrets he keeps from them prevent Golden from finding any fulfillment in his life. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. It looks like a very unique, entertaining book.

The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared 
The Reading Promise - Alice Ozma
When Alice was a young girl in the 4th grade, she and her father set a unique goal for themselves - he vowed to read aloud to her every night for 100 days no matter what.  After they reach this goal, both father and daughter decide to continue this reading streak for as long as they can.  Alice's father read to her every night until the day she left for college. This is her memoir about this unique and touching experience she shared with her father.


Ok so obviously this is not a complete summer reading list, but these are some of the ones I am looking forward to most! However, my birthday is on Tuesday and I gave my husband an awfully long list of books that I NEED to own, so this list may very well be revised next week.