Thursday, October 27, 2011

NPR's controversial interview with Amy Greene



I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Amy Greene last week, who is the author of Bloodroot.  Her writing is incredibly powerful, and if you have not had the chance to read Bloodroot yet I highly recommend that you make some time!  A couple of months ago I mentioned the debut novel in my Southern Lit Rant, and I still think it is one of the best books I have ever read.

Anyway, Amy Greene mentioned last week that in early 2010 she was interviewed on NPR, and that it ended up being a very controversial show. Jacki Lyden was the host, and though she may not have done this on purpose, she came across as very condescending, even going so far as to suggest that the south is not a part of the "real world."  Apparently this pissed off a lot of people (not just southerners) and NPR received many letters and calls of complaint.

I was very disappointed when I read the transcript of the interview.  I listen to NPR almost every day, and I was appalled at Lyden's ignorance and lack of respect for Amy Greene as a writer.  If you're a southerner, you have probably dealt this kind of stereotyping before, but seriously??? I expected more from NPR.